Sunday 6 September 2015

For the Dutch National Ballet - Mixed spiced fruit scones- all vegetarian too!

I am so sorry to miss the opening gala of the Dutch National Ballet on Tuesday. I enjoyed Cinderella (see Bend it like Cinders - my take on Cinderella 18 July 2015) and it was great to meet Ernst Meisner at the London Ballet Circle. I think Kenneth Leadbeater's idea of a British chapter of the Friends of the Dutch National Ballet is a great idea and to get the ball rolling I'll prepare some of my choicest delicacies for the first meeting.

I know Mr Meisner likes his food because he told me so. If I had gone to Amsterdam I would have brought some of these scones which I baked over the weekend.  As I can't make it to the Stopera Mr Meisner will have to make his own. Here's my brilliant quick recipe for egg free, fruit scones

(c) 2015 Gita Mistry, all rights reserved

Put oven on: gas mark 6, 180 C fan assisted 170C
Grease a non stick baking tray (I find using a roasting tin bakes a softer scone)

Ingredients:

8oz self raising flour
2oz hard butter
1tsp baking powder
1oz caster sugar (more to taste - But I find this perfect as the dried fruit is sweet)
Pinch of salt
3oz dried sultanas or raisins
1/2 tsp of mixed spice
A drop of vanilla essence
120ml cream, milk or butter milk (can be mixture of them)

Method

1. Rub the butter into the in to the flour and add in baking powder and pinch of salt. (Rubbing is a method using your finger tips. Take small amounts of mixture and rub the flour into the butter until is resembles breadcrumbs. Raise the mixture to some height whilst doing this over the bowl to aerate it).

2. Mix in the sugar and fruit and spice.

3. Add in 120ml of liquid, vanilla essence and bind it together with a flat knife

4. Using your hand bring it together to form dough.
Pat out in an 8 inch circle (1 inch in height) score the top in 8 pieces like the picture. Brush the top with milk (not the sides to give it colour contrast).

5. Bake for 20 mins and remove onto a cooling rack and simply enjoy with some best butter and jam is desired.

Of course this is not just for vegetarians! I took this bake to a party last night and they disappeared in about the same time as it takes for Odile to turn 32 times.

I hope to be at the Stopera for plenty of other shows this year.  I also hope to see the new Junior Company when they come to the UK. It would be fantastico-mojo pojo if Mr Meisner would bring them to Leeds. I would spoil Cristiano, Emilie, Lisanne and the other hungry dancers with one of my to-die-for curries!

To Jane, Alison, Helen and all you other lucky people who make it to the gala on Tuesday have a lovely time and tell me all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment