Friday 28 October 2016

"Quite simply the most exciting dancer I have seen for quite a while"

Michaela DePrince in Tarantella Pas de Deux
Photo Altin Kaftira
(c) 2016 Dutch National Ballet: all rights reserved
Licensed by kind permission of the company










































Dutch National Ballet, Tarantella Pas de Deux, Stopera, 7 Sept 2016

When I first saw Michaela DePrince on stage at the Stadsshouwburg in Amsterdam I wrote:
"I had seen something of DePrince's virtuosity in her YouTube videos but she is even more impressive in real life. She is quite simply the most exciting dancer I have seen for quite a while"
(see The Junior Company of the Dutch National Ballet - Stadsshouwburg Amsterdam 24 Nov 2013 25 Nov 2915). I have, of course, seen DePrince dance several times since then and indeed I have seen her in class (see Double Dutch Delights 17 Feb 2016) and even met her briefly on one occasion (see The best evening I have ever spent at the ballet 13 Sept 2015) but I experienced the same excitement when I saw her in Balanchine's Tarantella Pas de Deux with Remi Wörtmeyer.

Remi Wortmeyer
Photo Altin Kaftira
(c) 2016 Dutch National Ballet: all rights reserved
Licensed by kind permission of the company
First performed by Patricia McBride and Edward Villella of New York City Ballet in 1964 to the music of Louis Moreau Gottschalk, it is one of the most thrilling dances I know. It demands great virtuosity from both dancers. Dazzling footwork particularly from the woman and athletic jumps from the man.

This work was the last offering of the evening before Balanchine's Theme and Variations which wound up the show. It warmed the audience up  beautifully for the finale.


No comments:

Post a Comment