Tuesday 21 March 2023

Lynn Seymour - A Personal Recollection

Standard YouTube Licence

I am sad to learn of the death of Lynn Seymour.  I never met her or had any dealings with her but I saw her several times on the stage of Covent Garden when she would have been at the height of her career.  I saw her in many roles but the one that I remember best is Juliet.   Kenneth Macmillan created that role for her.  While I have seen many other Juliets I always associate that role with her and none other.  

Although she would have been in her early thirties when I first saw, her she could shed the years to become the excited teenager looking forward to her first grown-up ball.   I could sense her excitement at meeting Romeo on the balcony, her conflicting passions on learning of the death of Tybalt at the hands of that same Romeo, her despair on being forced to marry Paris and her apprehension on taking Friar Lawrence's potion,  Seymour's performance is still the yardstick by which I measure every other Juliet 

As there have been many obituaries I won't add another.   Jane Pritchard's for The Guardian is as good as any other.  There is also a tribute to her on the Royal Opera House's website.,

No comments:

Post a Comment