Wednesday 22 March 2023

Returning to my Beginners' Class after 54 Years

Standard YouTube Licence

In Ballet at University 27 Feb 2017, I recounted how the St Andrews Ballet Clun was founded more than half a century ago.  A year later I attended the 50th-anniversary gala of the founding of the Club and reviewed it in St Andrews University Dance Club's 50th Anniversary Gala on 5 May 2018.  The Club has grown and prospered over the years and now offers a wide range of classes as can be seen from its website.  It has its own range of branded merchandise and has even set up an alumnus network which I have joined.

I was invited back to St Andrews last month to give a talk to the student Law Society.  As the website advertised a beginners' ballet class the very next day I emailed the president with a request to attend that class 54 years after I had learned my first pliés and tendus.  I received this welcoming reply almost immediately:
"It would be an honour if you attended our beginner ballet class this week! Here is a quick description of how our class is going to run from our beginner ballet teacher, Bronwen:

We’ll start with a quick dynamic stretch and cardio warmup (with modifications for anyone who isn’t comfortable with jumping). Then we’ll do a couple of barre exercises (probably some plies, ronde de jambe, battement glisse) and some centre work on balancés, pirouettes, sautés and glissades. (We might not get through all of these - it really just depends on timing.) Then for the second half of the class we’ll learn a new section of the show choreography to the song Skyfall by Adele, incorporating some of the steps we worked on in the centre exercises. Modifications will be available for all the exercises for anybody who needs them."

I made the class and met Bronwen.   She was very pleasant and tolerant of all my faults - which were manifold as I can see from the video of my performance that a friend took for me.   We did basic barre, some centre exercises and then some choreography.  Just before the class broke up we were briefed by a committee member on the arrangements for the annual show.

According to the Byre Theatre website, there will be two student dance shows this year.   Dance Club Showcase Icons on 1 and 2 April 2023 and the Blue Angels Spring Gala: Through the Looking Glass on 5 April 2023. I am not sure where the beginners' class will perform but I would love to see them.  As you can see from the video they put on a pretty good show the last time they performed.

As I wrote in Ballet at University, I was prompted to contact the St Andrews Dance Club by a review of a full-length ballet that had been staged by the Cambridge University Ballet Club that appeared on the Balletco Forum website.  That is a much bigger club which is perhaps to be expected as Cambridge is a bigger university.  They had presented some excellent shows in the past though not recently/.  

I enjoyed my time at St Andrews  and learned a lot of which my pliés and tendus continue to serve me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment