Wednesday 12 July 2023

My First Class in KNT's New Studios


 











Yesterday I attended Karren Lester Sant's  Pre-Intermediate Class in her new studios at 114 Chapel Street for the first time and was very impressed.  The studio was easy to find with ample parking just across the street.  It has been fitted out with everything that a dance student could possibly need including a well-sprung floor, travelling barres and excellent acoustics. Best of all many of the dear friends and acquaintances that I have met in Karen's classes over the last 9 years were at the barre.  It was a great experience.

I set off from Holmfirth much later than I would normally do because a previous commitment had overrun. I messaged Karen to say that I was running late and asked whether I could do the advanced class barre.   As it happened I did not need to do that because Chapel Street is much easier to reach from Yorkshire than Oxford Road and there are masses of parking spaces. I came in during glissés. I did a quick warm-up of tendus and pliés and took my place at the barre in time for ronds de jambe.  

Thereafter we did all my favourite exercises. frappés at the barre, an enchantment that included tendus in the centre, grands battements and soutenus, balancés and pirouettes, posés pirouettes or "pirate peglegs" as another dear teacher calls them, glissades and assemblés finishing off with joyous temps levés.  Karen chose some lovely music for us.  I recognized "Getting to Know You" from  "The King and I" and I think also Piazzolla?  Definitely Argentine tango.

The only drawback to the evening is that I was forced to acknowledge just how far I have fallen below my previous level of ability.   I can't raise my leg to the barre for a stretch,  My balance was completely AWOL. I was slow and quite out of puff by the time I was halfway across the floor.  I can no longer stand on demi-pointe on my right foot.   Some of it is a loss of fitness which I can recover in the gym.  Some of it will be age-related.  I shall be 75 next birthday.  Some of it will be the result of the broken tibia that I suffered last year.  Happily, I can still do something in ballet and as it is nearly 55 years since I learnt my first plié at St Andrews I really can't grumble,

Anyone thinking of joining one of KNT's classes will find the schedule here.  There is lots of choice at many different levels.  On 22 July 2023, there will be a Special Guest Tracher Day with Emily-Joy Smith which looks like a lot of fun.  I have attended similar events in the past and can strongly recommend this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment