Sunday 7 April 2013

Some Unalloyed Good News: Dance Theatre of Harlem returns to Lincoln Centre




This short video from today's New York Times tells the story of the closure and revival of the Dance Theatre of Harlem.

I first saw this company when it performed at Covent Garden over 30 years ago and fell in love with it.   I was deeply saddened when it had to close its doors in 2004.  I am overjoyed that it is coming back to Lincoln Centre with a programme that includes Balanchine's Agon. With ticket prices ranging from US$25 to $125 I urge my US readers (and anyone else who can spare the time and cash for a flight to New York) to see them.

Their stars include Michaela DePrnce, an exciting young dancer who is not yet known in this country, about whom I blogged on Friday ("Michaela DePrince" 4 April 2013).

Like so many businesses in Silicon Valley this wonderful company was started in a garage.  Maybe I should clear out mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment