Thursday 10 November 2016

Scottish Ballet's Young Dancer Mentoring Scheme


Standard YouTube Licence


Scottish Ballet's Christmas appeal is in support of the company's mentoring scheme (see Hansel and Gretel, and You Appeal  on Scottish Ballet's website).

Noting that one of the themes of Hansel and Gretel is that Gretel looks after her little brother and that Hansel looks up to Gretel as a role model, Scottish Ballet has devised a mentoring scheme that reflects that supportive relationship whereby established performers advise and assist the next generation of young dancers.

The video shows Constance Devernay coaching two promising young students.  The thrill of working with  one of the finest artists on the British stage must be enormous. Also, Devernay derives enormous satisfaction from passing on her considerable skill and knowledge.

Donations of £40 or above will be acknowledged on the appeal web page and those over £80 in the company's programme.

I have a personal interest in this appeal because I was a sort of mentee of Professor John Steer who became the company's chair when I was at St Andrews. It was he who cultivated my appreciation of ballet and introduced me to Peter Darrell and his dancers shortly after their move from Bristol. I have followed the company and attended its performances ever since (see Scottish Ballet 20 Dec 2013).

I strongly recommend Christopher Hampson's Hansel and Gretel. I saw it in Glasgow in 2013 and you will find my review at Scottish Ballet's Hansel and Gretel 23 Dec 2013).

No comments:

Post a Comment