Saturday 29 April 2023

BRB2 in Nottingham

Standard YouTube Licence

BRB2 Carlos Acosta's Classical Selection Theatre Royal, Nottingham, 28 April 1930

Nearly 10 years ago I was in Amsterdam for the first performance of the Dutch National Ballet's Junior Company (see The Junior Company of the Dutch National Ballet - Stadsshouwburg Amsterdam 24 Nov 2013  25 Nov 2013).  I had come to see Michaela De Prince about whom I had heard a lot.  She did not disappoint me, but she was not the only artist who impressed me.  The other members of the cast were super talented too. Several are now principals in the Dutch National Ballet and other companies.

The Junior Company has greatly strengthened the Dutch National Company by attracting some of the world's best young dancers,   Because of its success I urged British companies to set up their own junior companies.   The Central School of Ballet set up Ballet Central to tour the South, Ballet West had a company that toured Scotland and Northern Ballet had Manchester City Ballet which gave several excellent performances in the Dancehouse.  But that was not quite the same as the Dutch National Ballet's Junior Company as none of those student companies was associated with an established company.

I first learned about BRB2 when I attended An Evening with Ashton at Elmhurst.  That was a master class on Ashton's Rhapsody given by Lesley Collier.   Ashton had created that piece for Collier and  Mikhail Baryshnikov and the dancers Collier taught were Frieda Kaden and Oscar Kempsey-Fagg,  Carlos Acosta introduced them as members of BRB2, Birmingham Royal Ballet's junior company (see An "Evening with Ashton" and the Launch of an English Junior Company 30 Jan 2023).

The company is now on tour.   According to the programme, their debut was in Northampton on Tuesday 25 April 2023.  Nottingham is their second stop.  Their next will be Peterborough on 3 and 4 May, London on 13 and 14 June and finally Wolverhampton on 24 June.  When I visited Elmhurst someone told me that Northampton would be the best place to see them because they would have a live orchestra.  Had it been possible I would have been there.  Sadly, barristers tour at least as much as ballet dancers and I had a breakfast meeting in Colwyn Bay at 09:00 the day after their Northampton show.  Even without an orchestra, BRB2 were impressive.  I would have trekked down the M1 to see them again tonight had Powerhouse Ballet's company class not been scheduled for this afternoon in Salford.   I will try to catch them again at the Linbury or elsewhere on the tour. 

The format of last night's show was very similar to the Dutch National Ballet Junior Company's.  Except for Majisimo which was the finale the show consisted of solos, duets and pas de deux. The first part consisted of four very well-known works plus Carlos Acosta's bolt-on of  Descombey's Dying Swan to Fokine's which he called Dying Swans.  The second part of the show consisted of seven less familiar works.  Two of the works that I saw yesterday were also in the Dutch National Ballet's opening performance, namely the pas de deux from Act II of Swan Lake and Diana and Actaeon.

The show opened with an empty stage except for a travelling barre and other touring paraphernalia.  One by one the artists walked on stage.   They limbered up as if preparing for class.   Two of them, Kaden and Kempsey-Fagg, peeled away and approached that front.   A backdrop fell to hide the other dancers and they performed Rhapsody just as Collier had taught them at Elmhurst.  They had impressed me even in the master class.  Yesterday they were polished and confident and executed the piece with flair. There could not have been a better start to the show.

The backdrop was lifted to reveal the company again.  This time Olivia Chang Clarke appeared in a romantic tutu and Eric Pinto-Cata in a kilt to dance the pas de deux from La Sylphide. Their piece turned out to be the high point of my evening.  That may have been partly because I love Bournonville's ballet very much and know it well but credit must also go to the dancers.  Pinto-Cata was the perfect James with his powerful tours en l'air and Chang Clarke was a delightful sylph, playful and flirtatious.  I almost wept at the thought of what Madge's shawl would do to her.

Maɨlȅne Katoch and Mason King followed with the pas de deux from Act II of Swan Lake. Interestingly, Katoch had written on her web page that her dream would be Odette-Odile because she finds it interesting to be able to interpret an ethereal and delicate swan and then a mischievous swan.   It must have pleased her to have been given a taste of her dream role so early in her career.  I am sure it will not be long before she performs the whole role.  King partnered her gallantly.  Not hard to envisage him as a principal in the not-too-distant future.   

I had seen Javier Torres perform Descombey's Dying Swan at Northern Ballet's 45th anniversary in 2015 and had admired the work greatly (see Sapphire  15 March 2015).   I would have enjoyed watching it again in its original form and I am sure that Jack Easton would have danced it magnificently.  I would have enjoyed Fokine's Dying Swan even more for the reason I gave in to Sapphire.  I am sure that Regan Hutsell would have danced it exquisitely.  Combining the two works and their music to create a solo did not work for me.   I had to switch between the two alternately as though I was watching two separate ballets at the same time. That way I appreciated Easton and Hutsell's considerable virtuosity.

Diana and Actaeon had been the highlight of my evening in Amsterdam because De Prince and Sho Yamada displayed exceptional virtuosity.   The ballerina enters the stage to Pugni's punchy music practically jumping on pointe.   I had described De Prince as "quite simply the most exciting dancer I have seen for quite a while" and she will always be my Diana just as Antoinette Sibley will always be my Titania.   Beatrice Parma's interpretation was softer, more delicate, more Ashtonesque perhaps? Enrique Bejarano Vidal was spectacular.

Part 2 opened to a blue background with several dancers seated around tables.    There is a suburb of Buenos Aires near the cemetery where Eva Peron is buried called La Recoleta which is famous for its cafes.   As the second piece was Gustavo Mollajoli's A Buenos Aires to Astor Piazzolla's music I was transported there.   

However, the second part began with Ben Stevenson's apocalyptic End of Time danced hauntingly by Lucy Waine and Kempsey-Fagg to Rachmaninov's Cello Sonata in G Minor.   Stevenson started his career with the precursor of the Birmingham Royal Ballet and he did great things in Houston including sheltering Li Cunxin according to Mao's Last Dancer. 

Kaden and Easton were the first couple to leave the table to dance A Buenos Aires.   They were followed by Hutsell's spirited Je ne regret rien tIt io Ben van Cauwenbergh's interpretation of Edith Piaf's famous song.  She was followed by Vidal's Les Bourgeois also by van Cauwenbergh.   He tottered around the stage clutching a bottle executing unusual jumps and turns to Jacques Brel's music prompting loads of laughs from the audience.   As bouré is another word for "drunk" in French I quipped on Twitter that he gave a whole new meaning to pas de bourrée.  It is however very difficult to clown successfully in ballet and those who can carry it off are abundantly talented.

I enjoyed Acosta's Carmen much more than his Dying Swans.   Chang Clarke reminded me a little of Zizi Jeanmaire who will always be my Carmen though I had seen her only on film.  Wearing her hair loose she danced the pas de deux with Cata passionately.  it was one of my favourite pieces from Part 2. My other favourite from Part 2 was Will Tuckett's Nisi Dominus danced by Lucy Waine to Montiverdi's Vespers.  Sacred music does not often fit well with ballet for many reasons but Tuckett's choreography seemed to work well with the score.

The evening finished with Kaden, Vidal, Katoch and King together with Rachele Pizzillo, Ryan Felix and Ava May Llewellyn in Jorge Garcia's Majissimo to Massenet's music.  The piece focused on each of the artists to demonstrate his or her skills and strengths.   It was a good way to round off a very successful evening.

Carlos Acosta and Kit Holder, BRB2's artistic coordinator, are to be congratulated.  The company could not have made a better start.   One of the strengths of the Dutch Junior Company is that they draw heavily on their heritage as well as their talented up-and-coming choreographers.   There is always a van Manen and van Dantzig in their repertoire as well as new works by Ernst Meisner and  Milena Siderova.  The Birmingham Royal Ballet also has a rich heritage. In future, I would like to see a little more Ashton and maybe some MacMillan, Peter Wright and Bintley as well as perhaps pieces by Holder himself and other young choreographers.   

Now that two of Europe's leading ballet companies have junior companies it is likely that a friendly rivalry between the two will spur them both to even greater achievements.   But I also hope there will be more than rivalry.  I would love to see what BRB2's artists would make of In the Future or No Time Before Time. The Dutch National Ballet's Junior Company remains my first love.  I will continue to support it in any way I can.   But I can now take pride in an excellent English junior company.  I shall follow, encourage and support it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment