Sunday 11 September 2016

At last we have a Synopsis for Giselle Re-imagined. Oh Boy! Do we have a Synopsis!

Standard You Tube Licence


Akram Khan's Giselle will open in Manchester on 27 Sept though there will be previews on the 23 and 24.

English National Ballet and the Palace Theatre have published the synopsis. It is much closer to the traditional story than I had feared but it is still very different.  Post industrial utopia or rather Dystopia rather than the Vosges or Rhineland. The score by Vincenzo Lamagna is said to follow Adam but the soundtrack to the videos sounds quite different to me.

It will open with Alina Cojocaru and Isaac Hernandez in the leading roles.  Hernandez was with the Dutch National Ballet where he won the Alexandra Radius prize. I last saw Cojocaru in Romeo and Juliet in the round on 14 July 2014.

The English National Ballet has a special website for Akram Khan's Giselle and a huge programme of events in Manchester and around the country. Several of the best take place on the 18 September.

Though I feel the same kind of trepidation as I would if an old friend were to undergo surgery I know that Tamara Rojo loves Giselle at least as much as I do and knows it so much better.

So I trust her to keep faith with it and her great company and save our dear friend.   I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment